Be One of My Froglets

Search This Blog

Friday, November 27, 2009

Penelope

Now, I haven't seen this movie, but I want to so badly now...




It's about this rich girl (Christina Ricci) named Penelope, of course, who's got everything, grace, charm, wealth... and pig's snout and ears. A victim of a curse, the only way to break the it is for one of her kind to accept her for what she is.
The parents begin to think the curse meant that another person from a wealthy clan must fall in love with her, and so the pursuit begins.

In the end, when she almost gets to the point of marrying a wealthy man, she backs out and says she likes herself the way she is.

Which breaks the spell.
A lesson for me. Penelope had the power to release herself from the curse to begin with. She just needed to love herself despite her appearance.

Which is a much better fairytale ending than Beauty and the Beast, which calls for another human being to actually accept and love the monster in you. Or like Cinderella, or Rapunzel, who each needed a prince to save them from their wretchedness.

I think it's cool. And I wanna watch this film if I can find it.
 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...